Do you want to keep your iPhone contacts private? Or maybe you have several contacts you wish to keep but don’t want them appearing in your address book. While iPhones don’t have a built-in app or a direct solution that can hide individual contacts, there are a few workarounds you can try. In this article, we’re sharing some ways how to hide contacts on iPhone.
- 5 Methods How To Hide Contacts On iPhone
5 Methods How To Hide Contacts On iPhone
Let’s check out here a list of how to hide contacts on iPhone:
Method 1:Hide Contact On iPhone By Using a Nickname
This is the easiest method how to hide contacts on iPhone. Take note, however, that this method can only hide the real contact name initially. When someone snoops further, they’ll be able to see more information about that certain contact.
Also, this method can’t be done in bulk, and you’ll have to do it individually. Here are the steps to mask your contact using a nickname.
- Open your Contact.
- Scroll down and find the contact you want to mask with a nickname.
- Tap the contact.
- On the top right corner, tap the Edit button.
- Scroll down and tap the ‘Add Field’ button. This should open a new list.
- Tap ‘Nickname’ from the list and enter your desired nickname.
- That contact will now appear with its nickname. This should prevent people from knowing their real names.
Method 2: How To Hide Grouped Contacts On iPhone
This is a more effective and safer method on how to hide contacts on iPhone. You can create a contact group and hide it. You need to create a new contact group via iCloud, assign contacts to the group and hide the group. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to icloud.com.
- Sign in to your iCloud account.
- After a successful login, find and click on ‘Contacts.’
- From the bottom left corner of the screen, click on the ‘+’ icon.
- Then, click on ‘New Group.’
- By default, the new group will be titled ‘Untitled Group 1.’ Change it to the desired name of your contact group.
- After successfully creating a group, click ‘All Contacts.’ Here, you can drag all desired contacts within the newly-created group. To make a bulk move, you can hold the ‘Command’ button while clicking on contacts.
- After filling the group, head back to ‘Contacts’ on your iPhone.
- From the left top corner of the screen, tap on the Groups icon.
- Choose the group you just created.
- Then tap ‘Hide All Contacts’ and save the changes. Once you go back to the main contact page, all contacts from the group should now be hidden.
Method 3: Hide iPhone Contacts Via Gmail
Your Google Contact is another powerful tool you can use to hide specific contacts. In particular, it’s highly effective if you wish to prevent personal contacts from mixing with your work contacts as well as hiding the latter from your iPhone contact menu.
Here’s how to hide your Google Contacts:
- Open Google Contact on your iPhone.
- Choose the contact you wish to hide.
- On the top right corner, tap the three-dot icon.
- From the options, choose ‘Hide from contacts.’ This should stop the Google contact from appearing on your iPhone contact list.
Method 4: Hide Contacts From The Spotlight Search
Take note that regardless of how well you try to hide your iPhone contacts, they’ll still appear in your Spotlight searches. So, if you wish to know how to hide contacts on iPhone completely, then you need to disable Siri’s suggestions for your iPhone contacts.
When enabled, anyone trying to snoop around your iPhone can easily track down a specific contact detail by simply typing the contact’s name in your Spotlight Search. Thus, disabling it can prevent the chances of anyone searching for specific details or contacts about that person using the Spotlight Search feature.
Here are the steps on how to disable Siri’s suggestions for your contacts and prevent contacts from displaying in the Spotlight Search.
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap ‘Siri & Search.’
- Find and tap ‘Contacts.’
- Turn off all the options under ‘Suggestions’ and ‘While searching.’
Method 5: Lock The App Switcher
If you’re using iOS 8, then you should take a look at your app switcher. Opening the app switcher in public will display your contacts and the people you recently talked to.
So, if you’re out in public and want your contacts to stay hidden from prying eyes, you want to lock down the App Switcher. You can hide your contacts from the app switcher by following these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendars.’
- Find and tick off the option ‘Show in App Switcher.’
Take note that this feature seems to have been removed from iOS9 and newer iOS versions.
It is possible the you may have hidden some of your contacts in a group or may also forgotten about them. For you to find these hidden contacts, just go to ‘Groups’, then select ‘Show All Contacts’, this will restore all of your full contact list.
Hopefully, this article has provided you with an idea on how to hide contacts on iPhone and better protect your privacy. The last thing you want is someone trying to get some of your contacts and snooping on your privacy. So, what are you waiting for? Try out the following methods to immediately hide any sensitive contacts you may have on your iPhone device.
Please do not hesitate to share your ideas in the comment section below. Have a nice one.